Political and social aspects of digital interactive media
NB! This is only a development "sandbox" - the real course will be located at the Owl Academy.
Main idea - to introduce various political and social issues in the field of new media, to promote awareness of and to discuss the diverse circle of related problems.
- 16 weeks (one semester/term) - one 1.5-hour session (lecture or lab) weekly plus independent work.
- 3.0 Estonian academic credits, 4.0 ECTS credits
- 1. e-Democracy, e-Elections and e-Government - social movements, participatory democracy and the Net
- [[2. Global networks in global politics
- 3. The Big Brother on Menwith Hill (privacy and eavesdropping
- 4. Censors vs Cyberspace
- 5. Social software, social engineering (not so much security but social aspects of manipulation)
- 6. Political campaigns and new media
- 7. The Hacker Ethic and empowerment of minorities
- 8. Hacktivism and Cyberterror
- 9. Gender issues off- and online (Susanna)
- 10. New Media and culture (seminar?; Susanna)
- 11. Play of life in the theatre of networks (Susanna).
- 12. Narration, storytelling, non-linear media (Susanna?)